Life of a city girl. Every since the day I was born, or perhaps every since the day I had my memories, I have always been living in the city. A busy and convenient city, just like manhattan. Walking to work in less than 10 minutes, being spoilt to the commute in Malaysia which only takes me half an hour to drive to class or work.
Even though I had 3 years living experience in Des Moines, Iowa, That doesn’t count towards my 1 month experience in November in New York City. Yes, during Sandy. Who will even predict that miss Sandy had brought so much damage to the city where everyone dreams to come here? Furthermore, living 20 years in Malaysia doesn’t even help because we do not have any natural disaster. A storm is a big deal to me. Since Irene wasn’t as bad as everyone thought. I was being really optimistic during the storm and I believe that electricity will be back in a week until my roomie, Andres came back from a run (after Sandy, also to check the situation) and yelled “FORCED EVACUATION!!” still being optimistic until we receive a notice that our apartment will be close till March!!!
So enough of my story. Sandy has brought me to this beautiful town, name Bensonhurst in Brookyln. Well, to me, commuting from Brooklyn is such a pain. I really respect everyone in my company that takes more than an hour to commute to work. I was literally complaining that the 45 minutes commute. Why do I choose Bensonhurst?? Sandy damage my apartment and also my company. I have been working from home and why pay more than 1000 in Manhattan? So, I decided to look up on craigslist and I found an apartment on 85th street, which is one street away from 86th street.
When I mentioned living in Brooklyn, my friends from other states are concern about my safety. I will never thought that I actually love Bensonhurst because it’s like a small town full with different culture. I guess the Asian took over the street and it’s like living seconds away from mini chinatown.
First reason that I love about Bensonhurst, it’s of course.. FRIENDS!! What more can you ask for? “It’s not about where you are, it’s about who you are with!!” I guess that totally makes my life in Bensonhurst great and I am being really sad leaving the beautiful town. I am surprised that many of my friends live around me and because I have move to Bensonhurst, we hang out more and I can definitely see myself coming back here during weekends to hang out with them.
This brings my topic towards FOOD!!! haha… Food is IMPORTANT!! Yes, it is!!! Mentioning about mini chinatown.. There are lots of great food around here. I am only gonna mentioned a few that I really enjoy!!
1) Audrey Concerto – A really cute bakery opened by 2 pretty sisters. All of their cakes are really pretty and unique. I have tried “green tea red bean tiramisu”, “chocolate green tea mousse”, “chocolate, coffee, pistachio macaroons”, “black sesame crepe cakes”, and “Earl Grey creme brûlée. Since I am working from home, I have been coming here really often, ordering tea and sitting at the coffee shops working for HOURS!! I have to say, they have the BEST MOUSSE CUP!! I hated mousse. Since they are famous for it.. I figured, why not give a try? So I ordered dark chocolate green tea!! Holy molly!!! It’s AWESOME!! They also have the best chocolate macaroons I have ever had!! Their jasmine tea, especially yuzu jasmine tea is awesome!! I never expect that there is such a cute bakery in Brooklyn.
2) Hi Tea Cafe – I still prefer Kungfu tea. However, hi tea cafe attracts me to get my “morning coffee” fix here every morning. They have free wifi as well and it’s like a student hang out place (for me I guess, cause they accept student ID). I love their coffee bubble milk tea. They have different kinds of unique flavors as well. I guess it’s cheaper here compare to Kungfu and it’s not a chain. That’s why it attracts me!!
3) Bread Zone – I prefer Bread zone compare to many other famous bakeries such as FayDa, Daipan in Manhattan. Every morning when I came here for breakfast. Their bakeries are warm and fresh. It’s also huge for less than a dollar. I came here in an afternoon as well and I am also surprised that their bakeries are still warm. It means they just took it out from the oven. I guess.. lol..
4) Chikurin – DAMN!!! Fresh sushi, lunch special for less than 6 dollars??? A roll is only 2.50-3 dollars?? WTH!! Really?? Soup, salad, 2 rolls.. I paid 7 dollars including tips.. How can you find this deal in Manhattan?? A roll in Manhattan might be 5.50 already. Or even more.. Special rolls are price around 7.50.. Really??
I don’t have many pictures here. Living in Bensonhurst made me appreciate..
- my usual daily life without commuting
- stop complaining about commuting problems
- exploring other neighborhood in Manhattan
- being optimistic.. knowing that everything will be alright
I am really thankful that I received so many calls and text from all my friends worrying about me not having an apartment or place to stay. Thanks for everything.. This is where I see… TRUE FRIENDSHIP!! I start learning how to appreciate what I have right now.. (If you hear me complaining.. It’s just for the sick of complaining. :p oops)